A federal moratorium on evictions is set to expire on July 31st.
If you feel your case may be affected and are looking for rental assistance, go to the Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency's page on COVID emergency relief funds, or the City of Detroit Eviction Prevention Hotline.
Lakeshore Legal Aid is also offering free legal representation in housing and eviction cases for qualifying low-income individuals. Click here to learn more.
Haga clic aquí si es una persona de habla hispana
اضغط على هذا الرابط إذا كنت تتحدث اللغة العربية
Free/Low Cost Legal Representation
Lakeshore Legal Aid - Free legal representation for qualifying low-income individuals. Have training and sensitivity to situations involving victims of domestic violence/sexual assault.
Detroit Free Legal Aid Clinic - Affiliate of Wayne State University, offers free legal aid in domestic cases for low-income residents.
William Booth Legal Aid Clinic - Salvation Army-affiliated free legal aid for all Eastern Michigan individuals and families in low-income residency.
United Community Housing Coalition - Legal group that provides free legal housing representation for low-income tenants in the Detroit area.
Neighborhood Legal Services of Michigan - Offers free legal representation for low-income and homeless individuals, as well as housing assistance programs and free domestic violence counseling/legal representation.
Detroit ACLU/YJC Program - Offers free legal representation for student juvenile offenders.
Disability Rights Michigan - Free legal services and advocacy to individuals with disabilities, including minors with disabilities.
The Joseph Project - Nonprofit organization in Michigan offering pro-bono legal services to victims of human trafficking
Food Banks/Delivery Programs
Unless otherwise specified, these organizations will deliver to any registered home in the Wayne County area, and have multiple distribution locations.
Gleaners Detroit Community Food Banks
Fish and Loaves Downriver Food Pantries
Zaman International Humanitarian Relief - Southeast Michigan
Brightmoor Connection Food Pantry (By Appointment in Riverdale Location)
Detroit Friendship House (Only Servicing Detroit/Hamtramck Area)
Meals on Wheels
Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) - Provides legal information and documents for renters and landlords, as well as those looking for financial and temporary housing assistance. Further widespread housing programs are in the development process.
- As of late September, the program is fully launched and are now accepting applications for rental assistance. The application for tenants can be found here. The application for landlords can be found here. Important to note is that this program cannot assist residents of the City of Detroit. The City of Detroit is managing their own rental assistance program. This program is for out-County residents only.
- The dedicated call center up and running for questions and support regarding ERAP. The number is (833) 742-1513.
We The People Detroit Water Assistance Program - Will help locate free water drop-off locations in the Detroit area, as well as help negotiate lower water/gas bill payments for your home or apartment.
COTS/CAM Housing Assistance - Detroit area partnership that provides a greater array of shelter and temporary housing facilities.
Detroit Phoenix Center - Specializes in housing assistance, essential care package delivery, and at-risk youth counseling.
Covenant House Michigan - Offers housing and education programs for homeless and at-risk youth in the Detroit area.
YWCA Detroit - Domestic violence shelter for women and girls in the Metro Detroit area. Also provides food, clothing, family counseling, financial assistance, and legal advocacy as well as criminal justice education.
Additional Community Services
Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency
- Provides housing assistance, emergency relief, education resources, food and water delivery, and legal advocacy services.
- 24/7 online and mobile service that connects Michigan residents to health and humanitarian service agencies in their communities.
Unity in Our Community Volunteer Timebank
- Detroit-based volunteer organization where members can receive free support and services from other members of the community group.
Detroit Justice Center
- Legal services and advocacy group partnered with the Metro Detroit Restorative Justice Network (MDRJN) to increase restorative justice practices across Detroit. Offers educational resources on navigating legal systems and negotiating property tax.
The Senior Alliance of Michigan
- Non-profit senior assistance group that connects seniors with in-home care programs including careers and food delivery programs, and financial waivers and assistance through Medicaid.
Live United's List of Volunteer Opportunities
- An active list of community volunteer opportunities in the Metro Detroit area, for those who wish to volunteer to help members of their community.
- LGBTQ+ resources and advocacy for victims of violence and discrimination.
The Trans Sistas of Color Project
- Non-profit group that regularly gives essential care packages to low-income transgender women in the Detroit area, including food and cash donations.
The Ruth Ellis Center
- A network of programs, events and fundraisers for LGBTQ+ youth and affiliated organizations, as well as food donations and health and wellness resources.